Tuesday, February 8, 2011

FInding a Cure

It's amazing the speed at which modern science and medicine moves.  The life expectancy of a child with Cystic Fibrosis was only 15 or so.  The average age of a person with CF now is well past their 30s, some even are in their 60s now!  By the time Calleigh is an adult, I fully expect there to be no difference in the life expectancy for CF patients versus a person without CF.

That being sad - it is only events like the Great Strides walk that make things like that possible.  Last year the Cincinnati chapter alone raised hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Think about world wide!

This may seem like a pitch for people to go donate.... and maybe it can be.  But more than that, I mostly just want to bring to light the things that I have been thinking about in the past year.  Before Calleigh, how many times did I walk past those jars raising money for children with cancer, or say no when Petsmart asked if I would donate $1 to the animals?  Seriously.  $1???  And I couldn't do it.... Why not??  What is $1 to me?  

I am ashamed to say that it took my daughter having a disease for me to realize what's important out there.  What if my $1 to the children's fund helps find a cure for that cancer?  Or even just makes life easier for one child?  What if my $1 to the Ronald McDonald house helps one more family?  I can no longer pretend that those kinds of things don't have anything to do with me.  And I don't plan on it.

Life is too short to pretend that I can't make a difference.  And I don't plan on letting Calleigh think she can't make a difference.

How's that for rambling on a blog??? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment